Outreach and Education Specialist
Supervised by: Director of Education and Outreach Programming
Full-time Equivalency: Full-Time
Salary Range: $33,000-$39,600 annually plus benefits
The Outreach and Education Specialist (OES) is responsible for the implementation, development and evaluation of outreach programming throughout Dane County. A successful candidate will help RCC increase sexual assault victim/survivor access to services through education and outreach to youth and adults. This position is supervised by the Director of Education and Outreach Programming (DEOP), who works closely with the Director of Client Programming on quality outreach initiatives. The goal of outreach is to increase victim access to RCC's counseling, support, medical advocacy and legal advocacy and to educate the community on the personal, familial and community impact of sexual assault, through education and outreach platforms. The OES is responsible for developing effective outreach materials and outreach education curriculum, training and recruiting outreach educator volunteers and building relationships with new and existing community partners.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Provide Outreach Education throughout Dane County (60%)
1. Provide high quality, engaging outreach presentations to youth and adults in middle schools, high schools, and community agencies and groups.
2. Evaluate outreach efforts for efficacy, impact, and reach.
3. Update outreach presentations and materials as needed or requested.
4. Create presentations tailored to specific requests from community members.
5. Collaborate with Direct Service Department to ensure that all victims who disclose to OES receive prompt, appropriate services.
Create Outreach Materials and Curriculua:
1. Coordinate the development of trauma-informed, empowerment-focused, culturally rich outreach delivered through written, video, website, social media, presentations and other appropriate formats.
2. Help in the development of RCC's Education Department Evaluation Plan to develop and maintain evidence-based or evidence-informed curricula that is creative, innovative, and population-specific.
3. Work with Director of Marketing and Development to create outreach materials that are consistent with RCC branding and which are designed to increase participation of diverse and underserved populations.
4. Collaborate with the Prevention Specialist to create outreach materials for GameChangers and Gender Equity clubs.
5. Plan outreach strategies, marketing and evaluations to improve attendance and increase number of total Chimera™ classes offered to extend this effective method of risk-reducation and empowerment to communities throughout Dane County and to introduce RCC to potential victims/survivors through a non-victim-focused service.
Oversee Outreach Educator Volunteer Program:
1. Recruit, screen, train, assign, evaluate, and supervise Outreach Educator Volunteers, in collaboration with the Education Programming Coordinator, to assist in the delivery of outreach education programming in Dane County.
2. Develop and implement the comprehensive training of incoming volunteers at least twice per year.
3. Collaborate with Direct Service Department to ensure that all victims who disclose to Outreach Educator Volunteers receive prompt, appropriate services.
Build Effective Coalitions with Community Partners and Create Outreach Strategy (20%)
1. Develop and implement strategies for identifying populations in need of improved access to RCC.
2. Maintain strong working relationships with area service providers and ensure agency representation at appropriate collaboration meetings and events related to sexual assault prevention education.
3. Maintain strong working relationships with area educators, school staff, and school district staff.
4. Plan one or more RCC outreach events during April for Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM) with coalition of partners dedicated to ending sexual violence and intersecting forms of oppression, including, but not limited to racism, classism, homophobia and sexism.
5. Develop and maintain mailing lists for RCC outreach.
6. Work in collaboration with the DEOP and Executive Director to create a strategic business plan for the sustainability of the Chimera™ program.
Program and General Support (20%)
1. Help develop and implement short and long range outreach and education goals.
2. Participate in staff meetings and in-services, maintain regular contact with staff and supervisor, and document services provided.
3. Provide technical and emotional support to other members of the team.
4. Participate in the general upkeep of office space.
5. Complete RCC Outreach Educator and Helpline training programs. After completing training, provide Helpline coverage as needed.
6. Other duties as assigned.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
1. Work is primarily performed in an office setting and routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, fax machines and filing cabinets.
2. Occasionally requires the ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time, and to move about and position self efficiently.
3. Requires the ability to adjust vision and focus to review documents and spreadsheets.
4. Occasionally requires the ability to move or transport supplies or equipment weighing up to 20 pounds unassisted, while ascending or descending stairs.
1. Understanding of sexual violence and related issues.
2. Ability to effectively build strong relationships with youth, adult and diverse audiences.
3. Bachelor's degree preferred though relevant work experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
4. Personal and professional experience with, and/or the commitment and capacity to learn, gender identity competency and cultural competency in African American, Latin@, Asian and other cultures represented in Dane County.
5. Excellent public speaking skills, verbal communication and written communication skills.
6. Experience using graphic design to create attractive and effective outreach materials.
7. Ability to organize and maintain materials, data, meeting minutes and logistics.
8. Comfort and competence in working independently and as part of a team.
9. Access to reliable private transportation with appropriate license and insurance and ability to travel throughout Dane County.
10. Flexible work hours.
11. Satisfactory Criminal Background Check.
1. Bilingual in Spanish and English.
2. Experience developing outcome-driven curriculua for diverse audiences.
3. Experience with statistical evaluation particularly within Epi-Info systems.
4. Knowledge of Adobe Create Suite, Publisher, social media applications, and video production tools.
To apply e-mail a cover letter addressing your interest and qualifications for the position and your resume to Eileen Zeiger at email@example.com. Please indicate "Outreach and Education Specialist Position" on subject line of email. Applications should be submitted by 3/1/2017 for consideration.
EEOC employer with Affirmative Action plan.